Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Where I'm at with 2 months to go...




I can't believe there is just 2 months to go until the Nike Women's Marathon! I will be among 25,000 participants the largest woman's marathon in the world).  From running on behalf of a loved one,  overcoming fears, taking on a new challenge or setting a new PR,  one thing we will all have in common is finding our own greatness and running for a great cause -  The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, funding blood cancer research education and patient services.

These past 2 weeks had me entering the double digit miles on my Saturday long runs.  Unfortunately though, the weather hasn't been so kind with on and off thunder storms, so I had to break up the 10 mile runs indoors on the treadmill - YUCK! Fortunately this Saturday looks promising with mild temps and clear skies :)
The long runs at first seemed daunting, but I've been able to break them up mentally ie) 1mi warm up, then two 4mi segments, then a 1mi cool down. 

I've also been running on various types of terrain from trails, sand and side-streets.  My cross training days have helped out a lot as well, lots of pulsing lunges and core workouts, making my body more efficient and stronger at running.


Here is a link of the route for the 1/2 marathon: Nike Women's half marathon map

The race will kick off in downtown San Francisco at Union Square and head through the financial district past the famous TransAmerica Building. It will then proceed along San Francisco Bay past Fisherman's Wharf, Aquatic Park, Ghirardelli Square, Fort Mason, and Marina Green while revealing breathtaking views of Alcatraz and the Golden Gate Bridge. (def taking pictures :P)  The course then weaves through the Presidio and Sea Cliffs districts out to the Great Highway, through Golden Gate Park, and south toward Lake Merced, finishing just north of the Great Highway along the Pacific Ocean.

Just 2 months and I'll see 13.1, miles of beautiful San Francisco scenery flashing by, awesome spectators cheering for us at every mile, the famous chocolate mile where Ghiradelli chocolate is given freely to all runners, and that iconic little blue Tiffany's box containing the  finishers necklace handed to us on a silver platter by tuxedo clad firemen at the finish line.  And of course finally meeting the  #sistersinnike whom I've been training with via twitter  (residing from Alberta, Montana and California)  - we've been keeping each other in check over the past few months.  

This will def go down in my books as one of the most rewarding experience of my 20's!






No comments:

Post a Comment