I've picked up a lot of tips/advice and learned from my own mistakes during my training, so I thought I'd share 13.1 of my favs. These are can also be applied to other forms of sport/workouts.
BEAT THE HEAT
- hydrate! hydrate! hydrate! On training days, make sure you’re taking in extra fluids before, during and after to keep from getting thirsty and dehydrated
- listen to your body
When training/running gets sweaty and tough, take a walk break (try some run/walk intervals) or hit a Savasana. Know when to push through a mentally tough part of your run and know when to pack it in.
- sunscreen!!!Wear sunscreen – ‘nuff said
SMOOTHIES FOR 13 MILES
- Crunchy Coffee Fix - soooo yummy
Mango-Coconut Water Smoothie
2 cups ripe mango chunks (from 1 to 2 mangoes)
2 to 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice2 cups unsweetened coconut water
Pinch of cayenne powder (key) ;)
Combine all ingredients in a blender; blend until smooth.
- run with your heart not with your legs
- you’ve done harder things than this before…
- You’ve made it this far, only (insert distance left) left!
GEAR & GADGETS
- Nike Cheyenne Vapor Backpack
This is a great bag, just what I need for my long runs, hiking and navigating the city. Big enough bag to carry all your necesities.
- Nike LunarFly+ 3 comfortable and nice fit
- Nike+GPS app Nike has put together a very polished app that allows you to get accurate readouts for speed, distance, GPS mapping and listen to music. Voice alerts during your run give you the vital stats such as time, distance and pace, and post-run entreaties for you to go faster, longer, and further really do work. There's also a social aspect, where you and your friends can have friendly competitions, trash-talk each other into a fitter,and better lifestyle. Post run you can sync you run onto Nike+ and see beautiful graphs of your run splits and see how you compare with fellow runners in the NIke community.
- Nike Filament Capris stays in place, does not bunch, and are very breathable. Back pocket is perfect for a house key!
Lastly, JUST DO IT! as Nike encourages us to do...get up and get moving! Whether it's for a charitable cause, competition or just for yourself, your body will thank you. You will reap the rewards by becoming healthier, stronger and confident because you achieved a goal.