Monday, June 25, 2012

NIKE WOMEN #MAKETHERULES



Nike Women's new campaign #MAKETHERULES was launched June 23rd (the same day marking 40 yrs of Title IX) and is reaching out to women all over the world, motivating us to reach our own personal goals. 

Title IX, is a law passed June 23, 1972 making women equal in high school and collegiate sports, & allowing women to prove that we are strong, capable and equal.  Before Title IX, fewer than 300,000 high school girls -- one in 27 -- played sports; there were less than 32,000 female athletes at the collegiate level. By 1974, just two years after the passage of Title IX, the number of high schoolers participating in sports had skyrocketed to 1.3 million.

Now more than 3 million high school girls -- one in 2 -- play sports. And unlike our mothers or grandmothers, who were often limited to basketball and softball, women are now participating in everything from squash to skiing, rugby to wrestling!

I'll be honest I never gave it much thought how fortunate I was to be able to play sports today. From now on when I hit the gym, or play sports I will feel its effect, and give it my all.


I'm a couple of days late posting this, but it's never to late to celebrate this important date in history - pick one of these challenges and give it your best.  






No comments:

Post a Comment